Saturday, July 3, 2010

20100703: Greying Days

People will grow old, that's a fact. In general, people do not want to grow old. Since the beginning of time, we have been told fairy tale stories of the fountain of youth & elixir of life. Even in the media of present days, old age seems to be a taboo, people want to feel young and continue to live forever.
Good health should come before wealth, but these days, that doesn't seems to be the case anymore. The value of human is measure by wealthat we show people & teaching of books such as "Rich Dad Poor Dad" phenomenal hype. I started to think of this when I saw the number plate "SH4H" in an up scale Sg neighbourhood. Is that really a arabian shah in the car? Looks likely but uncertain, all caucasian looks the same in Sg due to blending into the landscape.
Anyway, one day life ends and what ever great worldly things they had will be left behind.

Greying days (rainy gloom as I took the bus) in Sg, observe the food court auntie & uncle. I was killing time (about 1 hour of uncertainty; mind the pun) in a food court kopitiam. Ordered kaya toast set (orang kaya? mind the pun) with coffee since i'll be meeting my friend for dinner later. Most of the worker hired were above 50s (or so?). The services & speed were comparable to young people & they seems to be more serious in their work. One aunty walked pass me about 5 times to clean my table & cautiously checking whether I finished my coffee already. Didn't bother me at all as I understand this is their job. Everyone have their role to play in the kopitiam or in life. Sort of a pity that they could not enjoy the old age as my parents do. But at least they will get salary money on pay day, whether they'll be spending it is another matter.
It's up to them to clean up the food leftover on the table, seeing the leftover moving before my eyes, at that moment the story of "children in Africa got nothing to eat" invoke in my head. I knew they felt the same too but they cannot say anything to "not their grandchildren", probably already grown accustomed to the wastage in this age of abundance.
Hope they don't take it out on them when they meet their grand-children as it would only cause the opposite effect to children nowadays, & also lose whatever desired love that's is left.
Apparently it's better to work in an enclosed kopitiam rather than open air. A cleaning lady once rambled on & on about an old ahpek fellow worker who slipped, falled & had to be hospitalized for some time.
Often wondered where are their children? off to earn money? & do not care about what happened to them?
We'll all experience this in the future some day... that's LIFE ;-) but then again, we're living the present. Like the food in the trash that will be collected by the ton & processed into "black" fertilizer for the trees around the neighbourhood; when the time comes. it comes. I also wonder what it would be like another greying days.

(visual imagination based random blogging)

No comments: